Dedicated at historic sites in the Great Lakes region of the United States and Canada, War of 1812 Bicentennial Peace Gardens celebrate the two hundred years of peace and longstanding friendship between two countries that share the worlds longest undefended border.
Brown’s Berry Patch Peace Garden
The first Peace Garden in Orleans County was dedicated October 5, 2013 at Brown’s Berry Patch in Waterport. An honorary War of 1812 Bicentennial Peace Garden and interpretive panel was created in honor of Bathshua Brown, 1755-1826. The unique, linear Peace Garden is much like the long, peaceful border that it honors.
“During the War of 1812 the British had several armed vessels on Lake Ontario to hinder commerce along the south shore,” according to the panel. “During one of the raids a British captain foolishly found himself captured and subsequently brought up to Bathshua Brown, the matriarch of the area. To her surprise he was the same captain who plundered the family on Fishers Island. Bathshua gave him three choices: be turned over to the American forces at Ridge Road, let her sons have at him, or return to his ship and never come back to this area again. He chose to leave and was never seen again.”
Bathshua’s pioneering spirit is also noted on a historical marker in front of Brown’s Berry Patch.
The Brown’s Berry Patch garden is part of the War of 1812 Bicentennial Peace Garden Trail. Contact them for a brochure and take a free audio tour of each of the 27 gardens by calling 585-201-5079 and dialing the extension next to the listing.
Fairhaven Peace Garden
A second Peace Garden is planned for installation at Fairhaven Treasures, at the southeast corner of Routes 98 & 104 in the town of Gaines in 2014. The Fairhaven Garden will consist of flag poles for the American, Canadian and Peace Garden flags, in commemoration of John Proctor, who named this hamlet Fairhaven more than 200 years ago. Proctor is known as the Paul Revere of Ridge Road because he rode along the Ridge warning settlers that the British were coming during the War of 1812. He had a log cabin at the corner of 98 and 104 before the large brick house was built in 1834.
For further information about the International Peace Garden, visit www.ipgf.org.