Orleans County’s deepest respect and patriotism is demonstrated in the memorials and monuments scattered throughout the county. Dedicated organizations and individuals have led the efforts to create these monuments in honor of those who served in the Armed Forces and several who paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Thank you to Matthew Ballard, our local historians, the Orleans Hub and all those who contributed narrative and photos to this page and especially to the leaders and skilled labor that created these permanent icons to preserve about our military history.
The featured image of the Civil War section at Mount Albion Cemetery (above) is courtesy of D.J. Button.
Orleans County Veterans Services Building, Albion
The Soldiers & Sailors Monument, Mount Albion Cemetery
Built in 1874 and dedicated in 1876, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Mount Albion Cemetery honors local men who lost their lives during the Civil War. Built of Medina Sandstone, it includes a winding steel staircase allowing visitors to climb to the top of the tower as well as the names of 466 soldiers and sailors etched on marble tablets.
The Bronze WWI Memorial Tablet
Commemorating WWI soldiers from central Orleans County, installed at the County Courthouse and rededicated in 2017 by Albion 7th grade class. Read more on the Orleans Hub.
Albion Middle School Memorials
Albion War Memorial: Located on the front lawn of the Albion Middle School, the “monument” was created as a five-foot sandstone speakers platform with a 35′ flag pole. The stand is topped by a decorative metal railing with steps in the rear. Commander Frank Mack appointed a committee of Frederick Brace, Floyd Perkins, Fred Boyle, Isadore DeLodovico, Ermo Tebaldi, John Shourds, Rocco Sidari, and Carl I. Bergerson to draft plans and raise funds. William Monacelli chaired the committee. Frank Monacelli, Horace Monacelli, and Philip Ranieri cut, dressed, and set the stones for the memorial. It was dedicated May 30, 1950 by the Sheret Post No. 35 American Legion “To the memory of the heroes of the World Wars from the towns of Albion, Barre, Carlton, and Gaines.”
Vietnam Memorial at Albion Middle School: This marker, located on the front lawn of the Albion Middle School, was erected by the Albion High School Class of 2000. The monument was dedicated to those servicemen killed during the Vietnam War and reads “A lasting tribute to the patriotism and courage of the men and women who served our country in Vietnam.” The following names of Orleans County servicemen killed are etched on the back:
Richard E. Engle, John J. Hornyak, Howard L. Bowen, Gary E. Bullock, David D. Case, John P. Davis, George W. Fischer Jr., Paul S. Manracchia, Gary L. Stymus, Ronald P. Sisson, Charles L. Seefeldt Jr., John E. Albanese Jr., Roger J. Cook, Leroy H. Keller, Nicholas A. Natale, Rolland B. Shubbuck, George M. Underdown.
More Albion Memorials
Albion VFW Strickland Post 4635: Located on 38 N. Platt St, Albion, the marker reads “Dedicated to those who served; Orleans Veterans Club V.F.W. Strickland Post 4635, Albion, New York”
St. Joseph’s Cemetery Monument: Located at the front entrance of the new St. Joseph’s Cemetery on East Avenue in Albion. The monument was donated by Michael A. Christopher and was dedicated on Columbus Day 1956. Christopher was a Grand Knight of Council #1330 Knights of Columbus, hence the dedication date. An upper plaque reads “Dedicated to all who served or will serve our nation by PFC Michael A. Christopher, Columbus Day 1956” “Furl that banner, softly, slowly! Treat it gently, it is holy, for it droops above the dead!” A[bram]. J[oseph]. R[yan]. A lower plaque reads “In memory of Tech Sgt. Joseph F. Christopher 1917-1943 served with U.S. Air Force during WWII lost in action April 28, 1943 in North Africa. Cpl. John A. Christopher 1919-1943 served with medical corps of U.S. Army Air Force during WWII. Lost in action Nov. 26, 1943 in North African Port of Algiers.”
The Mack Flag Pole: Located on the front lawn of Central Hall (E. Park and Platt Streets, Albion), the memorial was dedicated in 1977 to the memory of Frank Joseph Mack Sr., a past commander of American Legion Sheret Post 35 and a medical corpsman with the U.S. Army Medical Corps during WWII who served on the island of Guam.
Our Lady of Fatima Monument: Located on the front lawn of Holy Family Parish in Albion (W. Park and Main Streets), a bronze plaque reads “For God and Country 1941-1945” “In sacred memory of our soldiers and sailors who made the supreme sacrifice Orleans County State of New York.” “Greater love than this no one has, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 May they rest in peace. Dedicated May 25, 1947.” The plaque is mounted on a base of Medina Sandstone upon which rests a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Fatima. In 1917, children in Fatima, Portugal claimed that a woman (the Virgin Mary) appeared to them and asked them to pray “the Rosary every day, to bring peace to the world and an end to the war” (World War I).
Veterans Memorial Park, Albion: Located on the corner of Linwood Ave. and Brown Street. Lorraine Ballard led efforts with the American Legion Auxiliary in Albion to rename Linwood Park to Veterans Memorial Park. She was responsible for collecting a large number of signatures for a petition to have the name officially changed and was dedicated in August 1956. There is a flagpole and monument with the park name near the entrance along Linwood Avenue.
Town of Gaines Veterans Memorial
The memorial at the Town of Gaines Office Building on Ridge Road features an and American flag pole and large sandstone block inscribed with “In Recognition of All Who Have Served”. The idea for a Veterans’ Memorial in Gaines was first brought to the Town Board in 1991 by Gaines Town Historian Dee Robinson as part of a county wide effort to recognize the veterans of WWII. Since Gaines had no other military monuments, it was suggested the proposed monument could recognize the veterans of all wars. The memorial stone was designed by Ann Bakeman of Brigden Memorials, which they engraved free of charge. Originally, there was a brass rose underneath the lettering, which was stolen some years ago. It was dedicated on Sept. 13, 1993. Incidentally, the 82″ x 62″ slab of sandstone, donated by then Councilman Bill Lattin has been in Gaines for a long time. It was once part of a set of two that bridged the Beardsley Creek culvert across Gaines Basin Rd. before being replaced by concrete about a hundred years ago. When the sandstone was removed, Nahum Lattin suggested to the Highway Dept. that instead of hauling them elsewhere, they could leave the slabs in his barnyard just south of the culvert, never guessing the town would return to pick either of them up again.
Clarendon Memorial: Located in the park at Clarendon Falls on Rt. 237, this monument was dedicated by the Clarendon Fire Company in 1968. “Clarendon honors its veterans and those who gave their lives in the service of their country.” – “In the glory of their youth we shall remember them.”
Holley Monument: Located on the lawn of the Post Office/Legion Post on Wright Street in Holley. The six-foot Barre granite memorial, dedicated on Veterans Day 1967, reads “In memory of all those servicemen who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Persian Gulf.” Thomas E. Stazie and Bernard McAllister were co-chairs of the committee to raise funds. Michael Piedemonte, James Gillette, Albert Buell, James Mignano, Neal Hawley, Charles Sweeney, and Henry Nixon assisted with fundraising.
Veterans Memorial at Hillside Cemetery: Located on the corner of Rt. 237 at Hillside Cemetery, the Veterans Memorial was built by Jacob Crandall for an Eagle Scout project and dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 2016. It consists of a pentagon-shaped concrete base with five granite etched stones (for the Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard), and a 25-foot flagpole in the center. Read more on the Orleans Hub.
Fancher WWII Monument: Located at the “Fancher Curve” or the intersection of Rt. 31 and Fancher Road in Murray. The monument was dedicated on August 14, 1949 largely by community donations and labor from local residents. The monument originally had four guns arranged in a sort of “quadpod” setup. From accounts of the monument, they were likely real guns and were damaged from exposure to the elements. A light sits atop the monument to illuminate the flag pole.
The monument was designed by Pat DiLaura and the stone was provided by Arthur Nenni. Gene Nenni, Oresto Nenni, Americo Belli, and Richard DePalma of Holley and Philip Ranieri, Tony Passarell, and Angelo Manella of Albion were the quarrymen who pulled the stone from the quarry. Lee Colavito and Dan Fiorito performed the masonry work. Thomas Friedo of Fancher performed the electrical work to hook up the clocks.
The monument reads “For God and Country 1941-1945” “In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II.” The names include John A. Christopher, Joseph F. Christopher, Cosmo P. Coccitti, John Kettle, Jr., Leonard L. Licursi, Martin J. Licursi, Richard L. Merritt, Camille H. Nenni, Floyd M. Valentine, and Richard N. Vendetta. The Gold Star mothers were invited to the dedication.
Veterans Memorial at Public Square, Holley: The sandstone monument reads “In honor of all veterans who served to insure freedom in our nation. Dedicated November 11, 1986.” It is surrounded by the 5 flags of the US Armed Forces.
Eastern Orleans VFW Post 202
Eastern Orleans V.F.W. Post 202 in Holley. From the left, the plaque reads: “The Eastern Orleans Memorial Post 202 Veterans of Foreign Wars, dedicated to our men and women past and present who faithfully served America in defense of freedom and democracy on foreign land, seas and in the air, May 30, 2001. Lest we forget!”
The center image is the Vietnam Memorial and features metal “stands” with the names of the local men killed in action in Vietnam. The plaque reads “In memory of all Vietnam Veteran brothers and sisters; those who returned home; those who did not; those who are still with us and those who have passed. “
Another VFW Post 202 memorial is alongside the tank (below) and was designed and installed by Dylan Lotzow and Boy Scout Troop 59 of Clarendon, NY in remembrance of all veterans of the US Military, dedicated 2009. The plaque reads “V.F.W. Post 202; This memorial dedicated on November 11th 2009 to those who died in the service of our county and to those who served and returned; You will never be forgotten.”
Civil War Cannon at Greenwood Cemetery, Kendall
The Kendall War Memorial
Dedicated on Sunday, September 29, 2019, the Kendall War Memorial started as a small community dream. Ryan Barrett, Jayden Pieniaszek, Noah Rath and Brian Shaw, members of Kendall Troop 94, built and dedicated their 4-phase Eagle Project, the Kendall War Memorial, honoring the armed forces of the United States of America.
The 36-foot-long brick wall features granite plaques highlighting the American Revolution, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War and the War on Terror. Alternating the granite plaques are concrete medallions representing the five branches of the military.
Three flag poles stand tall behind the brick wall. The center American flag pole on which also flies the POW/MIA flag is 35 feet tall, with 2 – 30 foot flag poles representing the State of New York and Orleans County standing on either side. The memorial is respectfully lit from dusk to dawn.
Black granite engraved bricks border the memorial sidewalk in honor of veterans who are currently serving, who have served, who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, or in appreciation of all veterans. The memorial has been designed so that as future generations serve our country additional bricks can continue to be added in their honor.
The centerpiece of the memorial is a black granite stone that previously stood in front of the Kendall Town Hall and was dedicated to Kendall residents who have served. A metal bench has been placed in a location where the entire memorial can be viewed.
The desire of these scouts was to create a place where people will gather to take pictures, where veterans will gather to share experiences with each other, to ponder thoughts they can never share with anyone, or a place to heal your soul. Their hope is that this memorial will be a place where children will learn lessons of freedom from their parents and grandparents, and as a place where those coming after us will recognize our desire to acknowledge those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom, and they will continue to be encouraged to place the same importance on this site as we do today.
The following video was produced for Memorial Day 2020 by John Rath with photos by Katherine Spohr of Kendall. Taps was performed by Jayden Pieniaszek, Kiersten Rodas, Jacob Esposito, Bejamin Brundage and Nicholas Wolf. The names scrolled across the screen are veterans buried at cemeteries in Kendall (Greenwood, Beechwood and Morton Union).
Located between the Yates Community Library and picturesque Johnson Creek Falls in Lyndonville is a group of monuments and plaques honoring those who served in the Civil War, WWI & II, Korean War, Vietnam War and Desert Storm. There is also a memorial bench and tree planted in memory of USMC SGT Trevor T. Cook, a local marine who was killed during training maneuvers in 2011.
The Company F Memorial at the YMCA (former Medina Armory)
Corner of 306 Pearl Street & Prospect Ave.
Honoring men who trained at the Medina Armory, the Company F Memorial is a pentagonal shaped column made of Medina Sandstone topped with the 1,400 pound bronze statue created by sculptor Brian Porter. Conceptualized and built by Bill Menz with the support of the community, the Company F Memorial commemorates over 550 Company F 10th Infantry war veterans that battled four major conflicts from 1898 to 1947: the Spanish American War, Mexican Border Incursion, World War I and World War II. The names of each of those local soldiers are inscribed on plaques attached to four of the five walls of the monument. The 5th wall commemorates Company C leaders who trained at the Medina Armory during the Cold War era, some of whom served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The monument also serves to honor all of our veterans and symbolizes our local military history. For more info, visit www.companyfmemorial.com. Read about the dedication in the Orleans Hub.
The WWI Cannon, State Street Park, Medina
Corner of East Center & State Streets
Following more than a year of restoration work by Seed Artillery Reproduction and Restoration in Altoona, Pa, the B.L. 60 Pounder British field gun was rededicated Memorial Day 2019 at State St. Park in Medina. The display for the cannon includes three new flagpoles – one for an American Flag, signifying the soldiers of Medina who served and gave their lives in France during the Great War; one for a British flag, signifying the gun’s heritage; and one for a French flag, signifying the theater of service for the big gun and our local soldiers.
Since 1935, the field gun has been the centerpiece of not only the World War I memorial in Medina and also village’s annual Memorial Day observances. Read more on the Orleans Hub.
Veterans Memorial Park, Medina
335 East Oak Orchard Street
The park was renamed Veterans’ Memorial Park on June 1, 1949 to honor all Medina athletes who had served in the two World Wars. The tank monument was added in 2003 by the Medina Central School District which owns the property.
Lt. John E. Butts Memorial Park
South Main Street Park was re-named in honor of Lt. John E. Butts in 1979. The monument was added in 1980. Lt. Butts was a native of Medina who was killed in action in Normandy, on June 23, 1944. He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Bronze Star Medal, and three Purple Hearts. His medals and citation signed by President Harry S. Truman can be viewed at the Lee-Whedon Memorial Library.
Korean War Memorial at Pine Street Park, Medina
American Legion, VFW and Rotary Park, Medina
Please note that there are several other tributes to our local heroes including:
- “Hometown Hero” banners along the streets of Medina, Albion and Holley featuring photographs of local veterans and some current servicemen & women. Medina banners are on display just before Memorial Day to just after Veterans Day in November. (Pictured below.) Read articles in the Orleans Hub regarding the installation in Medina (5/20) and about the installation in Albion (6/20).
- Memorials in honor of the heroes of 9/11 such as the Orleans County Courthouse Square in Albion, the American Legion Sheret Post 35 on Gaines Basin Rd., Albion and Medina’s Rotary Park on Main St..
- Historical markers such as those at the burial sites of Lemuel Cook at Cook Cemetery on Munger Road and Herbert Taylor at Hillside Cemetery (pictured below). Cook was the oldest living pensioner of the American Revolution. It is believed that Taylor was the only Orleans County veteran killed during the Battle of Gettysburg. Students from Tim Archer’s 7th Grade Service Learning Class (Albion) worked with the William G. Pomeroy Foundation to have the Taylor historic marker erected.
- Cemeteries with military sections such as Boxwood in Medina, Hillside in Clarendon, Greenwood in Kendall and Mount Albion (pictured below).
Thank you to all who have supported this page! To contribute additional material or corrections, please email a photo and description for consideration to email@example.com.